Friday, December 31, 2021

High Up in the Mountains You Will Find Medellin, Colombia


Medellin is the heart of Medellin and I really felt that until I saw it, I couldn’t say I’d been to Colombia. It’s a big city with urban sprawl rising up all the mountainsides. It has modern skyscrapers and lots of public art. There are plenty of luxury high rises and seemingly endless slums, as more and more people arrive. It seems to be doing a great job reinventing itself after

Colombia’s darker days where militias, drug cartels and the army fought in its streets. Now it’s a place for international commerce and known for its innovation urban planning which has put bike lanes and open pedestrian streets where cars used to run. I got to enjoy the lively nightlife and spend a day reflecting on the recent history at the “Casa de la Memoria,” or the Museum of Memory, dedicated to those who perished during the years of conflict. Honestly, I can’t wait to go back and dig even deeper.

No comments: