Saturday, December 25, 2021

Christmas in Choachi, Colombia


When my parents died, Christmas forever changed. Since then I’ve just embraced the change, since I can’t recreate the old way. It’s become an opportunity to join different families every year and experience different traditions. This year, my cousin's extended family, the Espinel's in Choachi, Colombia welcomed me with open arms and into a beautiful mountainside complex for a salsa music filled Christmas Eve.

Turns out that Christmas Eve is the big day in Colombia. We spent half the day cooking and the family gathered for a big dinner. The thing to do in Choachi is to go to the main square at midnight and welcome Christmas by dancing to live bands till 6am. I have to admit I only made it till 2, but it was fun to watch the crowd and think how vastly different people celebrate holidays around the world.

May everyone be enjoying old and new traditions. Merry Christmas!

No comments: