Saturday, May 13, 2023

Reflecting at George Floyd Square, Minneapolis

 

When I was in Minneapolis, I felt like I needed to take a thoughtful visit to George Floyd Square. It felt weird because it’s not a museum, it’s a place people live their daily lives, and yet, it’s now a place where a very important, disturbing piece of history took place that has become an active memorial. Plus I mean, after all, I was there for a BID conference that focused on the City and this event was under the surface and yet not mentioned very much. Also I am an experiential learner, so I went…

While I was there multiple locals came up to talk to me to explain their perspective on the place or to tell me what wasn’t being done to improve people’s lives or the behavior of the police and also to tell me to be careful and not get hustled. The interactions were hard to process on their own. I left wondering what good could come out of this or if being put in the spotlight would actually really disturb most of these people’s lives. I can’t really explain what I mean, but I feel like I needed to share more of the complexities vs just posting pictures.
In addition, on a larger level, I feel like there has been so much tumultuous stuff going on over the last few years and that we all keep moving on instead of fixing things. We put on our blinders instead of getting together and attempting to make important hard change. It makes me feel a little hopeless.
😣


No comments: