Monday, November 13, 2023

Buenos Aires, Argentina

 Buenos Aires has been on my bucket list forever. It’s a place that often comes up when I ask backpackers I meet from all over the world, if there was any city they have been to that they could see themselves living in. I now get it. It’s vibrant, architecturally significant, sometimes called the Paris of South America, the food is cheap and varied, the cultural offerings seem deep and the cost of living is way less than comparable world cities.

It was an interesting time to be there. There is a run-off election today for President and everyone was talking about it. Of course I love that. People say Argentinians always like to protest and complain about their economy. Right now their currency is in a terrible inflation spiral, which sure justifies their angst and while it’s bad for them, it was great for someone traveling with US dollars.
I’m sad I didn’t get to see a futbol game, but loved seeing all the Messi and Maradona fervor. I felt a little extra interest in Catholicism since this is where Pope Francis is from. Mostly I loved the chance to find a new city’s heartbeat.
As always, I feel lucky to experience a place in person. Each stop makes the world a little smaller. Thank you Buenos Aires!

No comments: