Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Pandemic on Facebook - December

December 29

With all the holiday activities, I forgot to update my pandemic album. Here are a few highlights from December. The numbers say we should be worried. They keep ticking up... But December was pretty bustling. My office building and subway rides got busier. NoHo stores definitely felt like they had shoppers. NYC did a good just dressing up for the holidays and powering through in the new normal. This rollercoaster never ends.


December 26

Ready, set, go! Since we can’t go to the theater, me and my wonder women are watching WW1984 together via a zoom watch party. #pandemiclife #girlpower

December 23

For this unconventional Christmas season without holiday parties and the regular moments of fun, I decided to create my own little daily excitements. The best purchase I made was a Lego City Advent Calendar. I’ve spent the month building my own little city. I knew it was meant to be, when the first thing to build was a freighter. My grandfather owned a freighter company and his ships dropped off sugar at the Domino Plant in Brooklyn, my real city. (My mom also loved that he shipped those beautiful Chevys to Cuba in the 50s and they live on.) #makenewtraditions #covidchristmas

December 19

Yesterday the NoHo BID partnered with NYC Test & Trace on a new initiative to bring self swab covid-19 tests out to businesses. We were able to test retail and restaurant workers at 16 businesses and even got our local UPS guy who has been serving the neighborhood for 20 years and we want to make sure he is around for 20 more. #preventthespread

December 17

I love a good snowstorm! Spent the morning making cute little snow penguins and placing them all over my neighborhood. I hope they spread some joy! Happy snow day everyone!


                                                                    December 16

Today was filled pre-covid NoHo normal things, which felt normal and yet so not normal! For a minute I almost forgot the medical and economic hell my city is facing and it was fun! We had a new cool sneaker store open and got a tour and learned about sneaker tech. There was a GIANT Salvation Army donation red kettle in Astor Place to rush out to see. I stopped into Showfields to try on fabulous new glasses and check out the new Murakami Perrier bottle. There was a film shoot. AND there were FOUR people in the work elevator (even if three were my office!!!) I’m so craving more normal!!!

December 15

The
Manos Que Dan, Reciben Bendiciones
Food Pantry attempts to meet the daily needs of the people we serve. 1000 people a week use a lot of diapers and baby wipes. THANK YOU to any of my friends who donated. The need is huge and I’m very grateful for the generosity of others.

If anyone still wants to help out, donating is easy. We created an Amazon Wish List to make it easier for donors to purchase and send items. If you can help, you can find the list HERE.

December 6

9 months of covid-19 and everyone is sick of it, if not sick from it! Numbers seem to be rising everywhere, but I can only speak about NY and there is a real glumness that after months of holding numbers down to less than 1% our numbers are moving up again way too fast. A certain PTSD has set in, but I’m not sure I’m seeing people lock down again. Instead we walk around in fear. Restaurants are dreading having their already limited 25% capacity indoor eating shut as temps get too cold for outdoor eating. Though amazingly people are also still afraid of indoor so they are bundling up and eating outside. I was timid for a bit but I’ve actually been enjoying outdoor drinking. It feels like an adventure! Life is going on. While numbers on the subway haven’t grown much me and the other 30-40% or riders continue to ride everyday mostly wearing masks. And I continue to walk the streets looking for signs of survival and renewal. And at least a vaccine is coming...

December 3

These days work is stressful and filled with lots of ups and downs. One thing my co-worker and I do to brighten our moods is a little gardening to attempt to enhance up our neighborhood. Today we were out in NoHo planting crocus and tulip bulbs. Crocuses are the first plant to rise out of winter’s cold and I fear winter might be very bleak this year. May each flower make someone smile.



No comments: