Sunday, October 18, 2020

Pandemic Facebook Update - June - Mid October

October 14

Just a few pictures from the last two weeks. Winter is approaching and restaurants are trying to winterize their outside spaces a little. Indoor eating is now allowed at 25%, but customers are slow to do it. Luckily it’s still warm enough outside to enjoy all the dining options. I keep being reminded that this is a little smoke in mirrors. The restaurants look vibrant, but no one is paying rent. There just isn’t enough revenue. The food pantry I volunteer at has had record numbers of people for the last two weeks. We are headed into a rough winter. But look at all the pics. I added two at the end that are sure to make you smile. 😘

October 13

Masks are warm and cozy on cold drab days.

October 12

The seemingly spontaneous creativity on the streets these days is pretty exciting. I had the pleasure of bumping into street performances of Voyeur: The Windows of Toulouse Lautrec, for the third time and this time I was able to follow along for a bit. The actors and musicians take viewers on a tour along the streets of Greenwich Village simulating the streets of bohemian Paris.


October 10

So happy Covid didn’t stop the music. Porch   Stomp, an Americana and folk festival, usually held in June finally was able to happen due to a lot of persistence and hard work by its founders, Theo Boguszewski and Nicholas Horner and others. Redesigning the event in a socially distant fashion, where not too many people gathered in any one place, was an impressive feat. Musicians played all over the grounds of Governor’s Island in what many said were their first performances to live audiences since March. Their joy was palpable. Thank goodness Covid isn’t killing the creativity within. Bravo! Can’t wait till next year!


October 4

Saturday in NoHo, the East Village and Washington Square felt so creative and dynamic that my heart swelled even more for NY. πŸ’“ So far re-opening still doesn’t include theaters or performance spaces and currently the City isn’t giving permits for outdoor events, but that isn’t stopping creativity from exploding all over our streets.

October 2

6 1/2 months of COVID-19. Trump having Covid kind of fits a rather depressing week in the Pandemic. More chaos in a stew of dark data points. A new spike in case numbers in certain communities is threatening NYC’s good behavior. I already was beginning to dread cold weather and the end of outdoor fun. The hard part was last week felt almost normal. I went to a museum. Went out with friends 5 nights in a row. I’ve been spending as much in person quality time as I can before cold or a lockdown end it. Indoor dining starts again at 25%, but as far as I can see, no one is doing it. Zooms with business owners seem so glum. We are running out of time to help them and still no help from Washington. ☹️#lifeonarollercoaster

October 1

As I’ve said before, the new normal in NY is so strange, stores and restaurants are open, sidewalk cafes are bustling, on the surface things look good, but even with the new 25% indoor dining, the numbers just don’t add up. Businesses need more support or we are going to spend the next year watching them all fail. We need another stimulus bill NOW!

September 30

NY might be quieter but it’s still fun and with much shorter lines! So in my effort to take advantage of touristy things without too many tourists, I headed up to the new Krispy Kreme megastore and got myself a Big 🍎 donut. I ❤️ Times Square!


September 28

Truthfully today has been an “what If NY is really dying?” kind of day filled with lots of little bad data points and sights I kind of didn’t want to see, but then, walking home through SoHo, NYC did what it always does, this! πŸ‘‚Suddenly the street was filled with classical music and I turned the corner to this wonderful performer, and again my eyes filled with sweet happy tears. It might not be easy, but this guy wants to be here and as long as that continues, we will build it back, hopefully even better. And I must say @bose deserves a shout out too. The music sounds beautiful for over a block.

September 23

Life in an “anarchist jurisdiction” is just so difficult these days. Beautiful fall days in outdoor cafes, pop up theater in Central Park, quick clean commutes on a bustling subway, foot traffic growing on the streets. Yes, Bill Barr, I don’t know how New Yorkers can survive.

September 21

Someone reminded last week that in 2016, even with the bad outcome, I at least knew I did everything I could have done. Well, with no in-person GOTV due to Covid, I haven’t been doing enough this year, so I’m kicking it into high gear for the last 6 weeks. Yesterday I donated. Today I wrote postcards to voters. This week I’ll be text banking. And I sure hope there will be opportunities to lit drop eventually. As I wrote in these postcards “Democracy in on the ballot this year!” What is each of you going to do to preserve the US?


Meeting up with my Democrat ladies for the first time in person since Covid. We visited the new women’s monument in Central Park, discussed RBG and planned what things we could do to rally voters in November. And of course enjoyed outdoor dining and sitting in the park. #❤️autumnafternoons #lifeinananarchistcity


September 18

A message from the East Village


September 16

Yay! Just bumped into people who are moving INto my office building! Plus there was someone creating something on the sidewalk. NY is not dead!

September 15

My weekly summaries seem repetitive and yet it’s true. NY gets more vibrant every day. People clearly also are enjoying the perfect weather. I can feel the energy all over. Workers supposedly aren’t coming back fast enough but this week at tech VC firm on my floor finally came back. That felt like a great sign since tech has been particularly lagging on returning. But then today in Jackson Heights I saw blocks of lines at different food giveaways, reminding me that we need to work for recovery for everyone. Also the issues related to getting kids back to school are everywhere. Kids in the subway, going to work with their parents. Some schools opening and kids carrying giant bags of sanitizers to keep their desks clean. And then this morning I watched parents picking up laptops from a school in Woodside. So much to think about. The anniversary of 9-11 also seemed so important. Both a reminder of NY’s ability to recover and how much we need each other to do it. I’m All In!

September 11

Today to honor 9/11, I went to visit The Edge, the new viewing deck at Hudson Yards, and got the most amazing views of the city I love. #AllInNYC



Thinking about 9/11 with the added perspective of the current pandemic. I’m so struck by the huge differences. 9/11 brought us together. Me, my NY friends, all of in NYC and the rest of the country supporting us. It was shocking and scary, but the sense of being in it together was beautiful. Immediately after, our President, Bush, who I rarely agreed with, was clear not to blame all Muslims and instead remind us that American Muslims had made great contributions to our country and that “Islam is peace.” In contrast, listening to Trump use anti-Chinese and anti-NY rhetoric to tear us apart feels so tragic. And ugh, remember when 3,000 deaths shook us? And now 1,000 a day has been normalized. Why can’t our leaders guide us to standing together, making sacrifices and doing what it takes to tamper down Covid-19, like countries all over the world have done, so that we can start to recover vs watching it linger on forever. I love NY. I love the USA. Pray for our future.

September 10

My mom’s birthday was last weekend and I was trying to figure out what I should do in her honor. I decided to take out her Grip ‘n Grab stick and make real headway picking up trash in my neighborhood on my morning walk. I know it’s something she would be really happy about, since instilled the idea of community involvement and volunteerism in me. Funnily a friend spotted me and unbeknownst to me taped this silly little video. My goal is to do this a couple of mornings a week. #ittakesavillage

September 7

Two more weeks in the new normal, but with everything being affected by covid its really hard to grasp what the new normal is. NYC is definitely waking up. Little signs of progress appear every day. Its great to see swarms of people with shopping bags again on Broadway and to hear the footsteps of other workers on my office floor. I know it's controversial to say, but I love seeing the NYU students back and the lobbies lit up and lines at the covid testing tent and the bookstore. I'm really praying they don't sick or even worse, get the rest of us sick. The weather finally is mellowing and it makes outdoor dining even more wonderful as more restaurants claim their outdoor seating and gussy up their enclosures.

September 4

Man, I’m definitely going to have to up my mask game if I want to keep up with my fellow New Yorkers! Well done! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

September 2

I don’t need a garden in the country when I have planters that need me in NoHo. While I mostly work with a landscaping firm, this time I wanted to get my hands a little dirty and replaced a few boxwoods myself. I had so much fun that I’m ordering some seasonal bulbs next! 🌷

August 29

Yesterday I checked off one of my Pandemic NY Staycation Bucket List items and FINALLY went to the Astoria Pool. Umm, wow! Why haven’t I been going there every weekend?? This giant pool is the largest in NY. It apparently fits 3000 people! There was plenty of space to float with lots of distance from others. NY is not dead! It’s marvels continue to unveil themselves. And thanks Robert Moses! #AllinNYC 

August 26

I know folks are hesitant to ride the subway, but I’m sad that you are missing all the MTA Covid-19 fun! Yesterday my entire train car was covered with different messages! πŸ™ƒ And for the record, this was the A train at 7pm and it was pretty empty. #wearamask #AllinNYC


August 21

It’s been almost 3 weeks since my last NY update. I can’t believe summer is almost over. Time moves so fast. Things are definitely improving. Most of the offices on my work floor are back. The subways are definitely much more crowded. The street life feels more upbeat. At moments I even forget Covid except for the masks. 34th Street was packed with shoppers yesterday. Street dining keeps improving, but the lack of a plan for indoor dining means more and more places are giving up. It’s great to see NYU students returning. I’m proud of NY for taking this seriously and getting our numbers so far down that we can lower our stress levels. If we can keep up like this maybe the new normal won’t be so bad. 

August 20

I’m happy to see the subway fill up again, because clearly it means New York City is coming back, but I already miss the quiet Covid months where I had a guaranteed seat.

Comment:
And now it seems like workers in other offices are back on my floor. Ugh! Means I need to wear a mask when I go to the shared bathroom! Again, it’s a good sign, but the emptiness had its benefits. 
πŸ™ƒ

August 15

When worlds collide. My job and street art loving hobby met up in NoHo. So happy that I could have Frank Ape come to the area to brighten up our streets and spread good energy in these tough times.



August 4

This week I made it to the Bronx, checking out Arthur Ave and the zoo, then I went to the Beach in the Rockaways. Geez, maybe it’s finally starting to feel a little like summer? And yet covid never seems to be that far from my mind. We are all a little edgy. NY continues to do well, but watching the rest of the country explode with cases makes us fear the virus will come roaring back. Just wear a mask and try to stay socially distant folks. As you can see from my life, one can still be out and about while following those rules. 


August 1

Since I can’t get on a plane to travel to exotic locations, I have to find different journeys in NYC. So yesterday I joined my 7th Grade English teacher Joanne Zammit at the Bronx Zoo for a round the world animal adventure. Mrs. Zammit, as she will always be known to her students no matter how old we get, is a volunteer at the Zoo and was an excellent teacher once again. And I finally got to ask her to forgive my terrible grammar on Facebook. πŸ™πŸ»πŸ₯΄
 

July 29

The weeks really fly by. So fast that it’s hard to remember what is different. The city wakes up a little more each day. More people are coming out and acting more comfortable, but it’s still pretty quiet. Restaurants continue to build out the outdoor seating, but I’ve heard it only brings a small fraction of their regular revenue, so people are also trying to find some kind of commercial rent relief program. Office workers are slow to return. I heard 4% from someone. 😳 NY’s uniqueness only feels stronger in times like this. The creative folks are out and visible, whether it’s dancing in Washington Square or the street art messages or the great clothing. This week it seemed like a lot of communities started organizing people volunteer clean ups attempting to pickup where the City is failing. Our covid numbers are holding, but it doesn’t seem like people are taking it for granted and the wear a mask messaging keeps growing everywhere. Meanwhile I’m used to mine and feel really happy when I find a good match with an outfit! ☺️ 



July 25

Today’s work activity was to check out the implementation of Open Restaurant Streets in NoHo and our neighbors. It’s nice that that means spending time with real people and drinking refreshing Aperol Spritzes. The verdict - outdoor dining is great!

July 23

At the beginning of the covid lockdown I was trying to find fun ways to entertain myself and I stumbled on some light up sneakers and thought aha! I must have them! Well they took over three months to get here on a literal slow boat from China, but they arrived and now it’s time to get this party started!

July 22

Well gee, this must have been a more momentous week judging on the amount of pictures I have, but really my life feels like it’s reached a new normal. I go to NoHo for work a couple days a week and work from home on the others. I continue to walk as much as I can in this ridiculous heat. Maybe it’s because I need it, but there are a lot of positive images popping up to keep us New Yorkers πŸ’ͺ. They help push out the more glum things I see.  In the past week I’ve had outdoor drinks with a few people and begun to enjoy the awesomeness of endless outdoor cafes. I’m glad my friends are slowly feeling more comfortable outside and happy that I am able to entertain myself during my solo explorations. I’m worried that restaurants are not getting enough business, but it isn’t for my lack of effort. And amazingly last night I went to my first post-covid lockdown corporate party. 😳 I know! We stayed socially distant! But maybe it’s a sign that we will get past this if we go slow and steady. 🀞


July 25

Today’s work activity was to check out the implementation of Open Restaurant Streets in NoHo and our neighbors. It’s nice that that means spending time with real people and drinking refreshing Aperol Spritzes. The verdict - outdoor dining is great!



July 20

Last Thursday I went down to check out the protest park at City Hall and it was kind of mind blowing. Lots of messaging! I really wonder how and when de Blasio is going to clear it out. Hopefully there is a way to acknowledge some of the messages, without creating more chaos. Meanwhile the Black Lives Matter mural on Center Street is beautiful. Each letter has a story to tell. Unfortunately it’s hard to catch from eye level. 


July 20

Forget my old need for a walk in closet or shoe racks. I created a face mask wall. Now I can pick the perfect one for every outfit on my way out the door! #livingincovidtimes 

July 18


I might not be able to get on a plane, but my feet took me to Greece (Astoria) for a refreshing frappe, street seating, chill music, and stores filled with delicious food. #staycationtravel #covidsummer #queensstrong #thenewnormal


July 14

I’m a little slow in posting last weeks pics, but here they are! We are reaching a strange phase of the new normal summer. The ups and downs continue. NYC is clearly going through a lot and I move between fear of the economic future and hopefulness that we’re a special enough place that we’ll get through it.

Restaurants keep building and improving their outdoor street seating. Retail is open and customers are beginning to arrive back in NoHo, albeit at a trickle not a flowing river. Workers haven’t exactly returned in big numbers, but the subways are getting more crowded. Some stores have closed, but delightfully some surprise me and after closing their gates for a few days, they appear with an upgrade or a new look. I had my first out of NYC socially distant visit to one of my aunties, taking MetroNorth and seeing Covid life in the suburbs. It felt pretty similar. Food lines continue so I went back to the wonderful pantry I volunteered at last week. Working there is my best part of the week. Purposeful, giving and community oriented. NYπŸ’ͺ

 

July 13

My life in NYC these days is a roller coaster of emotions, and tonight I’m on a high. The streets are just the right amount of lively and there are plenty of wonderful things and people to see. Getting a dose of forward fashion always ads skip to my step. Outdoor dining is allowing people to hang with friends in a chill socially distant way. My elementary school playground was filled with skateboarders who have set a variety of interesting obstacles and ramps. The 4th Street playground is filled again with lively basketball. I continue to feel FOMO for all the lakeside photos, but in truth I get my energy from the streets and I’m revived to fight on for another day. I❤️ NY and I hope for many more days like this ahead.



July 7

Latest cute coronavirus thing: couples with matching masks.

July 7

New York Phase 2 reopening is beginning to build. More stores are open and every day more restaurants put seats out on the sidewalk and in parking spots. It’s been really hot and humid, which makes the idea of eating outside a little less appealing for me and definitely slightly less profitable for the businesses, but at least they are open and NYC is finally being more flexible.

Meanwhile covid is exploding in the rest of the country, which riles New Yorkers a bit. We thought we took the hit and that the rest of the country would prepare more to able to hold it down. Now we fear a second wave could come anytime.

The subway is getting more crowded, but I haven’t seen more workers in my office building and it really doesn’t seem like people are coming back. NoHo is quiet but Jackson Heights is hopping, but even with the vibrancy on the streets I see signs that stores are closing. It definitely was a week of moving forward, but also beginning to soak in the possible rough road ahead.

July 5

Today I volunteered at Manos Que Reciben Bendiciones (Giving Hands Receive Blessings) food pantry in Woodside. I had been feeling some FOMO looking at everyone’s holiday photos, but I realized once again, that I’m where I want to be, doing what I need to be doing, helping folks in my community. I’m digging deeper, meeting new people, and feeling the extreme beneficial side of giving back. It was a privilege to watch a group of people help their neighbors. We were able to give over 400 people boxes of healthy staples. I fear this is just the beginning of the economic crisis and I am very thankful that there are some safety nets to help ease the pain.

July 4

I wear red, white and blue to salute the America I believe in. The one who welcomes all to our shores. The one that rewards big dreams and hard work for all. We are not perfect and should always work to get better. I’m glad to see so many people out on the streets fighting for justice. Life under Trump has been hard, as he assaults our values, but I hope the silver lining is the activism we are seeing and I hope in the end we come out stronger. Happy 4th of July! πŸ—½πŸ’₯


July 2

I’m loving the nightly ritual this week of heading up to my roof to watch the mini firework blasts that Macy’s is putting on in different locations around NYC that will be sliced into a show to be aired on July 4th. Each night I get to focus on a different part of the skyline. It’s impossible to get a clear picture, but just sitting and looking out over NYC is so lovely and the hunt on Twitter to figure out where they are adds a little NY spontaneity and excitement into my more staid covid lifestyle.  No matter what we get hit with NY is still a magical place.



July 1 

Stand strong and healthy! Prevent spreading Covid-19! Wear a mask like the NY Public Library lions. #newyorkstrong




June 28

This week NYC entered Phase 2 of reopening. This meant, most notably, in-store shopping at 50% capacity and the start of the outdoor dining. For me and NoHo this meant lots of excitement and stress. I’m happy to report that stores are opening, but sad to report that without office workers or tourists and with residents decamped outside the city, business is very slow. The broken windows in the stores that were looted haven’t been repaired yet, but some of those opened anyway with the plywood still up. It’s doesn’t look great, but it’s progress all the same. As for open dining, WOW! NYC came up with an easy system for restaurants to create sidewalk and parking spot seating. They are spread out all over the street and it’s lovely. For the most part they are following the social distancing rules, so it’s spread out positive social NY energy. I still worry a little that it’s too soon and not enough people are wearing masks, but geez, Aperol Spritzes have never tasted so good and seeing friends in person feels so wonderful. I hope both these steps are steps toward normal vs the second wave.

In Jackson Heights, we had NY Primary Day and participating was fun. If only more people voted!!  People also showed their pent up desire to shop, forming long lines at the clothing stores. And there are tons of people enjoying outdoor dining. Posted separately, in a effort to start the healing a few of us created a memorial for those who died and we are hoping many people will put things up about their lost loved ones.

The roller coaster of work and feelings from the pandemic keep me on my toes. The uncertainty about the economic future scares the heck out of me, but it’s really wonderful to see NY wake up. I’ve got a lot work ahead but it was a good week.

June 28

Yesterday morning I joined a few community members to make a memorial to those that have died from covid-19. We put up the names of a few of the prominent residents who died and hoped others would add their loved one’s names and photos in the coming day’s. When I went back to drop off more butterfly memorial plaques, I was excited to see that people had started to add the names of their loved ones. πŸ₯° While it’s hard to get solid numbers I think Jackson Heights and Elmhurst lost almost 500 people.


June 25

The new outdoor dining plan is so fun. New York is opening up in a mostly socially distanced way, spreading out into the parking lanes and people are really enjoying it. And there is a new condiment, hand sanitizer.


June 23

Primary Day was very active in Jackson Heights! It felt good and almost normal to be doing some visibility for #Nualafor34 outside my polling site. #JH❤️sidewalkchalk


June 21

Getting ready for re-opening tomorrow after a week with little signs of NYC awakening. Curbside pickup at stores, garages and small manufacturers in Queens with their doors open, working, traffic is picking up like crazy. Restaurant outdoor seating officially starts tomorrow, but all week more and more chairs and tables have been appearing on the sidewalks. Meanwhile marches and Black Lives Matter signs are everywhere, along with murals pushing people to think more deeply about racism.


June 19

Artists continue to express themselves on the boarding in SoHo. The #soho.social.impact project has expanded for blocks and blocks and is challenging passerbys to think more deeply. #blacklivesmatter


June 16

I’m wearing another new face mask today that I got from Etsy. Not gonna lie. 
It’s kind of fun to decide which pattern to wear. I guess I’m mentally settling in for the long run! #lifeinthetimeofcoronavirus

June 14

Another week of the pandemic, while NY rises up loudly for social justice. In my life, the emotional roller coaster continues. Daily work in NoHo is hard, depressing and yet full of purpose. Recovering from looting and surviving in a coronavirus lockdown, spell real hardship. But powerful murals speak about important issues and people are being heard. Also, take out margaritas are cheap and prevalent on my walk home in Jackson Heights and taste great after a hot, hard day. Plus last Monday was the first day of Phase 1 Reopening and it’s wonderful to see Queens reawaken, even if NoHo can’t yet. Jackson Heights feels like shangra la with lively diverse streets again. And don’t worry, everyone is wearing a mask! 😷


June 13

Watching NY react to George Floyd’s killing and the pandemic lockdown has me on a constant roller coaster. One minute I’m walking down empty boarded up blocks in NoHo or SoHo, stopping to talk to devastated business owners terrified for their financial futures, and then next THIS, an artistic explosion happening on block after block around Greene Street and Howard Street. I posted some pics already but Friday it was gaining even more steam. Artists are painting over every piece of plywood and even better than that, they have filled the streets and are happily talking as they create side by side. THIS is NY. Pent up energy and creativity and a desire to connect to try to make sense of the madness we are facing. THIS is why NY will survive. Sure, lots of people are moving out, but so many will stay and keep our core alive and continue to make it the greatest city in the world despite all our troubles. Thank you #soho.social.impact. (P.S. There is a lot of non political art too, but by now you know me. I like the political stuff.)


June 12

Anyone who follows me on Facebook over the years, knows I have many passions, but two stand out: street art and fighting for justice. I’ve been marching with #blacklivesmatter for years. So I am soooo happy that I was able to help this artist connect with this property owner to create this powerful mural. Thanks Steve Powers/espo. It’s better than I could ever have imagined! (I only wish I could have found a wall in NoHo.)


June 11

My job has been pretty rough over the last 10 days and I feel like I’m on a stressful rollercoaster. In between times feeling really bleak about the future, I have these little happy moments. One of the things the NoHo BID has been tasked to do is distribute PPE out to businesses in our area for the NYC Department of Small Business Services.  It means I’m meeting and talking to restaurant owners and other business owners, hearing their stories and feeling their strength and resiliency. Giving a few masks is such a silly little gesture, but somehow it feels like a positive moment for both sides. For NYC to survive covid and looting it going to take lots of small acts of kindness and plenty of hard work. I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and do whatever I can. (Side note: this guys mom sent him that mask. πŸ₯°)


June 10

Just another day near the office these days.


June 10

New Yorkers are rushing back to work! 10:45am E Train


June 8

Last week Part 2 - Jackson Heights: Focusing on NoHo meant less time to walk around JH, but I am beginning to see little signs of change/progress. Restaurants are beginning to adapt to the idea of drinks to go, which means cheap frozen margs and awesome music in the streets. I saw my first curbside clothing store. Finally one of the fabric shops opened for face mask fabric only. On a sad note, someone online threatened Jackson Heights with a “loot out” so stores that can’t afford it were forced to rush to board up. Everyone is an immigrant small business owner here. Why oh why, would anyone hurt them? Though they didn’t do it yet, so that’s good!


June 8

I just got out of the subway at 74th street in Jackson Heights. I burst into tears when I saw a bunch of stores open. I think I've been holding my breath and praying businesses would survive. What a wonderful site to see life again. Nothing opened in NoHo. #phase1reopening #praytheystayopen



June 8

Wow, the subway station smells like a nice sanitizer this morning and people really are standing on the 6th markers. #reopeningphase1


June 7

This FB album is a way for me to remember this whole experience in real time so I feel like I have to keep posting, but so much happened last week that my mind is kind of blown. How does one process watching looting and mob mentality? How do I watch my work neighborhood violently destroyed? How do I figure out how to comfort business owners, property owners, residents and building staff who are deeply shaken? And to be honest, it’s kind of strange that somehow politicians and people saw the curfew as a bad thing. Believe me, it was horrible and escalating and you guys would have pretty upset when it happened in your neighborhood. I deeply believe in the Black Lives Matter cause, but I also love NY and the lawlessness of last weekend had to be calmed. It needed a time out. And frankly for the last few months no one was going out after 8 anyway?! But I digress. What a roller coaster, looting, community building, inspiring protesting, watching art and messages be posted on sad blank walls and positive energy beginning to help us rise again.

I’m compartmentalizing, so these photos will only be of my NoHo life and I’ll post the Jackson Heights perspective tomorrow.


June 6

MTA stepping up their game for reopening.


June 4

This is happening in NoHo today. Brought a little hope back to our boarded up streets. 
I ❤️ NY and it’s resiliency. We will get through all this. πŸ’ͺ



June 4


June 3

The last 5 days have been a whirlwind and I’m behind on my weekly covid times post. In an effort to document for my future memories, here are a few from last week pre-protest and looting. When I look at my pictures, it seems like life was getting routine. Ha! That changed. πŸ₯΄πŸ€― Highlights include bringing lunch to the Dept of Sanitation with other BIDs to thank them for being our essential workers. With the added bonus of walking around Manhattan and multiple walks on Jackson Heights’ 34th Avenue Open Street, which is getting more and more use every day!


June 2

I feel so sad and conflicted tonight listening to the NoHo precincts police scanner and listening to more looting and fires. I think the protesting is amazing and participated twice today along my route, but once it gets dark, opportunists (totally different people) are using the distraction to flat out rob businesses. I’m sad for my neighborhood that keeps getting hammered and the long term implications of the recovery of NYC.

But I’m also inspired by the protestors I saw today, here are some scenes. Powerful, resolute, peaceful, 1000s of people.

Praying for NY. πŸ™πŸ»



No comments: