Saturday, May 30, 2020

NYC Covid Chronicles - March to May

 


In case anyone is wondering, my work hood, NoHo, is even worse tonight. 😒😳 Come on NY. Be better. πŸ™πŸ»

May 31.

Another peaceful protest in Jackson Heights. Say Their Names: Gathering for Black Lives. Simple and powerful. #blacklivesmatter


May 30

Yesterday was quite a day. Peaceful protesting  in Queens during the day and then my work neighborhood got hit BAD by looting, which meant late night work in NoHo protecting BID assets that were spread all over the streets. Heading back to the neighborhood now to assess and clean in the light of day. #allinadayswork #staystrongnewyork


May 30

This week was a major pivot for NYC. Our need to speak out for justice overrides our fear of Covid-19. Hundreds gathered in Diversity Plaza (and throughout the City) to declare Black Lives Matter and the multiple deaths of black men and women over the quarentine time need to be honored and justice needs to prevail. #nojusticenopeace #knowjusticeknowpeace


May 28

As I reflect on how this pandemic is changing everything in our lives. I am most amazed that it’s made me one of THOSE woman who get up for early morning walks. That is soooooo not me pre-covid. I love lazy mornings in bed. I’m pretty sure as soon as I go back to work, I’ll never be out at 7am again, but it’s an interesting transformation for now. And I kind of get it, it’s quiet and peaceful.

May 25

On Friday night I asked my happy hour crew what their Memorial Day traditions were and someone said they always went to the cemetery with their family to put flowers on ancestors graves. I don’t come from a family that paid much attention to cemeteries, but my post-covid-19 adventures have had me wandering through a few lately. I’ve been interested to see how different people salute their dead, especially at a time where so many are dying around me, so this weekend I spent two days putting flowers out. I even put flowers on Governor Al Smith’s grave in hopes of awakening his spirit, so he could bring some of his good NY governing spirit back to guide NY through this tough time. Lastly I took note of the many new covid-19 graves and tried to say little prayers and salute them. These are strange times.




It was nice to have a socially distanced afternoon with friends. It’s just different to hang out in person. So happy we found this nice quiet green patch. Happy Memorial Day!


May 24

Another week rushed by. What’s changed... hand sanitizer finally available all over, street vendors are selling cloth masks with patterns and designs, very few lines at stores, Open Streets are awesome and people are out and enjoying them, thank you signs and rainbows continue, but now they are being supplemented with memorial ones too. With almost 100,000 dead, it’s about time!  Also I went back to NoHo for the first time in 9 weeks! Yup, things are moving forward, but dang, the future is so uncertain and feels pretty scary economically. Hold strong NYC!

May 20

Made it back to my office for the first time since 3/18. Had a great social distanced day catching up with my co-worker, business owners and residents. (I even took the subway! 😳 It was fine.)


Love this 9 panel piece by artist Steve Powers in SoHo. Look close. There are some sweet observations about life in the time of Covid-19.  #newyorkstreetart #finallymadeitbacktonoho


May 17

This week definitely felt like the new normal. Many more people are out and about enjoying the beautiful weather. Here everyone wears masks though. NYC Open Streets expanded and people have filled up wide 34th Avenue. It’s wonderful. NY is still not open, but since my neighborhood has so many food places that are allowed to be open for takeout and essential businesses which are open, it feels more lively. But then there are the food lines... 😒 People waiting for meals from the schools and food giveaways all over the place. I’m glad I’ve found groups to volunteer with. It feels important to help people in times like these. Lastly, Covid-19 hasn’t gotten me yet.


May 16

The ongoing situation of food insecurity during this crisis continues. Each morning on my walks, I pass multiple food lines, so yesterday I volunteered to assemble food bags for people in Corona, Queens. The line waiting was 7 blocks long and began lining up at 4am for a noon distribution. This effort was organized by State Senator Jessica Ramos. I know that everyone feels like the Covid-19 crisis is hitting them hard, but imagine sitting out for 8 hours for a bag of food!


May 13

What I’ve noticed is that when I’m feeling down and glum on my early morning walks saying a vigorous cheery “Good Morning!” 😁 to strangers I pass does make me feel brighter and makes them smile (I think!? 😷). #spreadsunshine

May 11

Yup. I’m #NewYorkTough. πŸ’ͺ We’ll get through this.


May 10

The billboards in Times Square flash with messages about thanks, strength, and encouragement that we will get through this.

Charging my NY πŸ’“in Times Square. I ❤️ NY and NY ❤️’s Me! And yes, I did it! I made it to Manhattan!!! The world is my oyster or at least NY for now. #bikinginNYC


May 9

Another week flew by. Are we reaching the new normal? More restaurants open everyday. Hopefully it means their workers feel healthier and safer. Certainly getting paid again is good. More places are building out their safety precautions with screens. Lines for grocery stores are a little shorter. Volunteer action providing free food for those in need is on the rise. Irises, rhododendrons (my dads favorite) and dogwoods (my favorite) are blooming. And my neighbors are out gardening, which makes everything feel brighter. #walkinginqueens


May 8

Starbucks is open in Jackson Heights and the crowds are gathering in excitement!! #thekidsaregoingtobeallright #lifeinthetimeofcoronavirus


May 6

Since in times like these, we kind of need all gods on all of our sides, I was thrilled to see monks from Wat Buddha Thai Thavorn Vanaram still doing their morning processions collecting alms/food and sharing daily prayers. I stopped in at the grounds of their temple a few days ago and today I decided to walk with them and watch. I ❤️ Queens!

May 4

Ha ha. #sacsix this really captures the moment. #lifeinthetimeofcorona #streetartinnoho


May 2

I finally got the bicycle out again. I was a little nervous. ☺️ But living my motto “Do something every day that scares you” I hopped on and made it to Long Island City. But geez, how am I ever going to make it over that bridge to get to my beloved Times Square??? It’s sooooo big!!! Maybe  tomorrow #lifegoals #missingmanhattan #livingwithoutasubway


May 1

6 weeks at home in Queens. More stuff to see on my morning walks. Things are brightening up a little. Doctors outside Elmhurst Hospital have a lot more skip in their step and were seen chatting as they came and went during shift change. Much better than the shell shocked zombies a few weeks ago. A few more restaurants have opened their doors. Hopefully it means workers are feeling a safer and more comfortable about going out. But it’s still so surreal to not know at all what the future brings. Just gotta go day to day.


April 30

Just when I thought things were getting better because over the last week I was hearing a lot more ice cream truck bells than ambulance sirens, the sirens have returned. 2 last night, 5 so far today after none for days. Ugh. All these states say they are re-opening and I don’t think NY is anywhere near that stage. 😣
April 29

I know times are rough when I find myself speeding up to make sure a black cat I see ahead of me walking down the block doesn’t cross my path. #lifeinthetimeofcorona

April 28

Number xxx of things I’m glad my mom didn’t live to experience: face masks. Why you ask?! Well, my mother ALWAYS wore lipstick. She thought it was an important part of putting your best self forward. So just now I was heading out and put on some lipstick like I’ve been trained to do, then bang!! I remembered I had to put on my mask. 😷☹️


Watching the Navy Blue Angels and Air Force Thunderbirds fly over NYC to pay tribute to NYC’s frontline workers. Mind you I think those workers might have rather the money be spent on PPE and covid-19 tests, but it was exciting and a great excuse to sit in the sun on my roof for a bit.

Flyover video

April 26

Took a walk through Corona to Flushing Meadows and onto Flushing Main Street. 10 miles! So interesting to see different communities reactions. Every store is closed in Flushing and the streets were empty, but Corona, part of the epicenter of this, was pretty bustling. 😱 NY better open more streets soon or the idea of social distancing ain’t gonna survive. In what feels like hopeful progress, I am hearing almost no sirens anymore, which I hope means things are quieting down at Elmhurst Hospital.


April 24

Today I volunteered to assemble food packages for those in need in my neighborhood. The COVID Care Neighbor Network (JH, East Elmhurst, Woodside) is doing amazing work meeting community needs at every level.

Thanks to those of you who donated. I witnessed first hand that every penny is being used and leveraged to get the most support out to the community. If you feel moved you can still donate to Together We Can and help us reach more people. πŸ˜‰ The link is in the comments section.

(I know some of you will read this and think I’m not being careful, but I am willing to take a tiny risk to support my neighbors who need it.)


April 23

I find little things bring me a lot of comfort in these dismal times, so when it started snowing on my morning walk today, I felt my little kid snow day excitement. The flakes looked like little stars on my black jacket. It’s magical!


On Earth Day, I want to say that I’m extra thankful for spring and flowers and new growth this year. Where so much around me feels dystopian, my neighborhood is filled with natural beauty. Each day my walks feels a little different as things bloom and trees explode with green leaves. It adds positive energy to my day. Thank you Mother Earth!



Over the last month I’ve been trying to help my friend and colleague Leslie Ramos keep an eye on her BID on 82nd Street in Jackson Heights, while she has been working at home, since I can easily walk by. Today she borrowed a car and stopped by to say hi while she was in Queens. Sometimes it’s just so nice to have an in person conversation! #workinthetimeofcorona


April 21

Long walks. So many pictures. Here are some from the last week. Some are bright and cheery. Others are painfully tragic. Fits my general experience in the time of Coronavirus. Up and down and up and down.


April 18

I took that macaroni rainbow I posted earlier as a real challenge and dug into my arts & crafts box. Here is my feather rainbow. I hope it brightens people’s days. #rainbowscavengerhunt #lifeinthetimeofcorona


Yay! I finally got a returning customer for the window birdfeeder that I put up 6 weeks ago. She has visited multiple times over the last week, but today is the first time she has really eaten! Her sweet dove cooing is so nice! And she keeps looking in on me. It’s almost like a pet! What should I name her? #lifeinthetimeofcorona


Waking up this Saturday, more than a month into lockdown, I bet we all need a boost, so enjoy some of the hopeful, thankful signs in my neighborhood. I think top of today’s agenda might be making a rainbow, but heck, how can I beat one made out of macaroni? #lifeinthetimeofcorona


April 15

I just noticed that the Empire State Building’s lights are beating like a heart. Thank you. ❤️😍 (Using a professional image vs the fuzzy one my camera captured so you all can enjoy the beauty of it.)


Got up at 7am for my morning walk. The sidewalks were silent, but then I saw people gathering ahead. I was hit with a gut punch when I realized it was the local The Salvation Army food pantry. It was 7:30 and it doesn’t open till noon and the line is already at least 40 people long and people kept arriving. 😭Because sadness is paralyzing, consider being part of the solution and making a donation to Together We Can, a group that is providing help in my community. https://togetherwecanrc.org/donate/#lifeinthetimeofcorona



April 13

The 7pm clapping is by far the best part of my day. Loved these neighbors hanging out their windows as I walked by. This was last night and tonight I’m happy to report that I achieved a louder sound with my pot and lid! Everyday me and my neighbors up our noise making game! 🀩 I bet they can actually hear us at Elmhurst Hospital. Bravo NY spirit. We will survive!


April 12

This year I expected to go to the Easter Parade on Fifth Avenue to promenade with all the magical people who get dressed up every year. Clearly that didn’t happen, but thanks to the Stonewall Village NYC and my creative friend Paul Nagle, I got to participate via Zoom. Today’s Easter Parade was filled with marvelous costumes and exuberant energy and a reminder NY will get through this. PLUS I made it onto NY1!!! Along with Lee Vibhusha Ilan!!  (Watch the clip!! 😍) I ❤️ NY!  Plus, more pictures in the comments.


Happy Easter! πŸ°πŸ’ Here are a few images from my walks. Coronavirus might be keeping people separate, but they are still celebrating.


April 11

So my Saturday walk had duel purpose this week. It turns out my tax preparers Barbara Schanker and Alp Beck live 4 miles from me, and since I didn’t really want to go into the germy post office, I decided to walk down, say hi and pass along my financial stuff.  When I got there they said they had an extra bike and offered it to me. So now I have a bike! 🚲 And that means I can travel farther for my adventures! Thanks guys! #lifeinthetimeofcorona


April 9

I’m a city girl and this song captures so many of the feelings I’ve been feeling. I miss the magic of “Downtown” to connect us. And I’m so scared that this crisis is going to change the way we interact and that the stores and restaurants we love are going to close. 😒

“When you're alone and life is making you lonely
You can always go downtown.
When you've got worries all the noise and the hurry
Seems to help I know downtown.

Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city
Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty
How can you lose?

The lights are much brighter there
you can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares
so go downtown
Things will be great when you're downtown
No finer place for sure downtown
Everything's waiting for you.”

April 7

Two full weeks in Queens. It went by in a flash.  Working from home supplemented with early morning walks are my new routine. So many little things to notice. The future is so unknown, but I’m doing my best to stay positive and healthy.


I’ve been trying to promote restaurants that are open in our neighborhood Facebook group. Apparently I’m not the only one who loves this place. 219 likes and counting! I hope he is getting lots of business. 😍



This banging of pots and pans is such a wonderful community collective action. While our streets are quiet, we are not alone and we will persevere. And yes, thank you, thank you, essential workers! Let’s all bless them loudly! I❤️NY!


Rethinking the value of living in a first floor apartment in the time of Coronavirus. A window on the street made visiting my friend Rhoda Dunn so easy and created natural social distance. #jacksonheightslife


April 5

I just heard the pots and pans banging and people cheering for medical workers for the first time near my apartment. Glad to hear us cheering on our Elmhurst Hospital workers and hope it will keep building. Can’t wait till tomorrow at 7pm! πŸ₯ Community comes in all forms. Waving to people hanging out the windows in the apartments across from me feels hopeful and joyous. #wewillgetthroughthis

April 4

When my rambling walk today ended up in Ridgewood, it led to social distancing sidewalk cocktails with my work friend Brandon Zwagerman. SoHo and NoHo together again! #exploringqueens



First I noticed two painted rocks leaving happy messages, then I started seeing rainbows posted in windows, then i read more. Seems like a sweet positive thing for kids to do. πŸŒˆπŸ’•


April 3

Went to bed to the sound of ambulances. Waking up to the sound of ambulances.  Things can’t be good at Elmhurst Hospital. #soundsofapandemic #lifeinthetimeofcoronavirus

April 1

Last fall I decided to plant daffodils in the bike lane tree beds in NoHo. For over a month I had been watching their green shoots pop up and was looking forward to seeing them bloom. Unfortunately coronavirus stopped me from going into work and thus I never saw them flower. BUT during my last week there, I found one bulb that hadn’t been planted correctly that was just lying there, so I snapped it up and brought it home. Now I have a little NoHo spirit blooming on my windowsill. ❤️ (If only the birds would discover my new bird feeder!)


March 30

Finding ways to get exercise forces me to be creative. This morning I decided to really take in a few blocks in Woodside, walking up and down every block. (You would be amazed how different things look on the same block when you are go back and forth in opposite directions! πŸ˜‰) Doesn’t look like much but was 13000 steps before 9am and I hardly saw anyone on the street, let alone 6 feet from me! #lifeinthetimeofcoronavirus


March 28

Two more days of long walks in Queens. For the most part the streets are quiet, especially for my morning walks. The walking keeps me sane and distracted, plus hopefully healthier. The spring flowers really brighten my mood. All I can think listening to the news about Elmhurst hospital is I am so lucky to be healthy and pledge to work to make my community whole again as we recover.

I’ve been working from home for over a week and it feels really terrible to not be able to be on the ground in NoHo supporting businesses and seeing what is going on. Then yesterday I was out walking a few blocks from my apartment and I bumped into Hassan, the coffee vendor who sets up right outside my building in NoHo. Apparently we are also Jackson Heights neighbors. 😍

In NoHo, he provides great eyes on the street perspective of the neighborhood and he was the last person I spoke to before I got in the subway to Queens the last time I was there. It was nice to chat with him. We both were lamenting that we felt so far away. I also was happy to get his contact info, in case I hear about any financial aid that he might qualify for! #itsasmallworldafterall


March 27

That moment that I feel I must doing something right when the local paper publishes my BID’s page about where to get food in our neighborhood. May this help the neighbors and bring some money to my beloved restaurants, so they can ride out this storm. πŸ™πŸ»



March 26

Walked by Citifield in honor of MLB Opening Day. Boo on no baseball this year! #letsgoMets!


March 25

Today’s observations from my daily walks. The streets are much quieter besides the echoes of ambulances. People look up less and shuffle by. Fear and economic worry are setting in. But spring is fully on! Beautiful magnolias, daffodils and tulips add to the beauty and almost make me forget the sad stuff.
Do any other New Yorkers get a weird feeling every time they hear an ambulance go by? 😣 Word was that my local hospital a few blocks away was at 125% capacity this morning. Plus I heard that the first person I know personally died and he was most likely younger than me.(Not a close friend, but still.)  I’m braced for something, but it’s just so unknown. Stay healthy everyone. (But mostly I’m fine. Just processing out loud. It’s the only extroverted thing I’m allowed to do these days! 🀣)

March 24

Second walk of the day to visit the Unisphere and say a prayer for all the people in the world suffering in this crisis. 28,500 steps! 12.3 miles! #coronaviruswalkinginqueens


March 22

Another long 15,000 step walk this morning. Very quiet out. Lots of small reminders of what is going on. Rubber gloves and masks abandoned on the sidewalk. Yellow cabs parked all over since I guess demand has dried up. Social distancing lines outside the grocery store and pharmacy. On the bright side saw a lovely new park, a few awesome classic cars and spring springing even though it’s cold today.


I keep seeing the Amazon Prime delivery vans buzzing around and I can’t help thinking it’s the grim reaper swinging the final death blow to street level retail. 😣

20,000 step walk before 11am. Maybe coronavirus will actually make healthier!

March 21

The Thai monks are still doing their morning processions. Hopefully they are sending much needed healthy blessings out into Jackson Heights!



March 20

I just had my first NY Coronavirus take out margarita. (They are letting restaurants sell drinks to make more money.) It was delicious. Drank it in the park on a bench, 6ft from a friend. All things considering, it was a pretty nice night. (Remember to generously tip the wait staff!)



I’m out on a morning walk and happily report that social distancing still allows for friendly encouraging neighborly greetings. #wewillgetthroughthis🀞

March 18

Wink, the Jackson Heights penguin, got the health message. Have you?


March 17

Another funny photo during the crisis. This Uraguayan bakery in Jackson Heights is closed, but they left the soccer games on. Perhaps it would be bad luck to turn it off.


One type of business that isn’t hurting as much during the coronavirus crisis are liquor stores. Tonight there was a line outside the fancy wine store in Jackson Heights. The owner wasn’t letting people into the store and instead taking orders at the door and bringing out the wine.



No comments: