Sunday, December 22, 2019

A Whirlwind, Round-the-World Food Tour of Queens


With my current job, I don't get to travel as much and don't have the time to go to as many far off lands to try new things. Luckily I moved to Queens where far off lands are right on my doorstep. I have been able to experience so many interesting cultures right near home. Hundreds of languages are spoken in this zip code. There is an Indonesian food fair every month in a local church hall. Practically every week parades and street fairs showing off different traditional dress, dance and customs go by one block from my apartment. Jackson Heights storefronts are filled with immigrant businesses selling everything you can imagine from Latin America (Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Central America...) and South Asia (Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Tibet...) Beautiful Hindu and Thai and Himalayan Buddhist temples are only a few blocks away.  And then the food... Ahh, the food...A Whirlwind, Round-the-World Food Tour of Queens

No comments: