Sunday, December 30, 2018

2018 Year End Letter


Hello Friends!

What a year 2018 has been! I happily rose again after a few years of deaths and illnesses. Dick and Jane would want me to continue living and in their honor that is what I have been doing!  


Workwise, my second year as Executive Director of the NoHo Business Improvement District has gone great. I’m getting in the groove learning more about our businesses, property owners and history and thinking about how it all leads to what the neighborhood will be like in the future. It’s fun to be on the cutting edge of ideas like experiential retail and pop-ups and to be in a neighborhood where high fashion is a norm. I swear, some people are walking works of art in their own right. 
Meanwhile after almost 25 years on the Upper West Side, I moved to Jackson Heights, Queens, a very different type of neighborhood, where diversity rules. They say it’s the most ethically diverse zip code in America and I love the variety. On my way to work I see multiple different types of traditional dress and I get to gorge myself with so many different kinds of food. I also love how vibrant its main streets are, with lots of mom and pop merchants selling anything I need. It’s a bit of a step back in time from Manhattan and that is such a pleasant daily surprise.

I traveled back to Nicaragua for the first time since my mom and I went on a life changing trip there after it’s revolution in 1989. This time I went for Semana Santa or Holy Week, where elaborate processions roam the streets re-enacting Jesus’ last days. I also got to enjoy nature, dive into local culture, jump in the waves. In May, I joined my sister Annie and her family in Rome and Florence for my first time. I loved it and became very addicted to quick stops for espressos along the way. In October I went to San Antonio, Texas for a work conference of the International Downtown Association, and as you can imagine, a city geek like me loved exploring their city through the eyes of our hosts. After the conference was done, I stuck around to volunteer getting out the vote for Beto O'Rourke, which introduced me to different places and people. I call it political tourism and its a great way to get to know a place. 

As for activism, the year started with another awe-inspiring Women's March, and continued with meeting and supporting great women candidates running throughout the country and campaigning in New York, New Jersey and Texas. Election Night was a bit of a nailbiter, but in the end I was happy to hear about so many newly election folks from local office all the way up to Congress and the state houses. 40 House wins, hopefully shows that not all of America is ok with Trump's behavior and policies. We still have a lot of work ahead of us though.

Because I believe the secret to happiness is life long learning, I did another cohort leadership program with the Coro New York Leadership Center called Neighborhood Leaders. This time it was specifically related to my job.  Our group learned from and inspired each other to tackle new challenges and grow and thus serve our communities better.

This has been a year of saying yes and trying to stay open to new experiences, honoring the way my mom always lived. In 2019, I turn 50, which feels a bit daunting, so I have been figuring out ways to prepare. One thing I came up with is doing 50 new things before 50. It’s been a fun way to push myself. Highlights so far are bouncing around a trampoline park, volcano boarding, and glamping on Governor’s Island. Another highlight will be finally going to Times Square for New Years Eve and doing the Polar Bear Plunge New Years Day at Coney Island! 

I have an extra bedroom in Jackson Heights and would love to show anyone around.  My new address is 76-15 35th Avenue, #3M, Jackson Heights, NY 11372. Come visit!

Wishing you all wonderful things in 2019!  And like I always say, do something everyday that scares you!
Cheers!
Cordelia

No comments: