Sunday, December 31, 2017

Farewell to 2017


Hello friends one and all!

It’s time to say goodbye to 2017 and hope 2018 brings much brighter things.

The biggest thing that happened this year was I had to say goodbye to my mother. In May, with no warning, she was diagnosed with cancer and given 2-4 weeks to live. Together we decided to follow the principle “if you only have two weeks to live...," which led to a profound 4 weeks of love and celebration of life that let my mom live out her last days surrounded by friends and family and delicious food, music and dance. The most meaningful moment was when her dance group came to dance for her can get a glimpse of here and here.
I had major gastrointestinal surgery in March, which honestly wasn't that bad, since it meant laying low at home recovering for a month and finally ending the terrible pain I had been in since my emergency surgery the year before.  

Beyond health and family, the year also will also be remembered for how my country and I responded to the Trump Presidency. After the 2016 election, I pledged to work on immigration issues and I have found a great group doing important work where I am volunteering now. It is called CUNY Citizenship Now! and it helps people with Green Cards apply for citizenship, a difficult process. I have spent some very meaningful Saturdays helping immigrants from all over the world fill out their paperwork and enjoyed seeing the changing face of America. It bolsters me against the racist anti-immigrant rhetoric being shouted from the White House. 

My political action switched from proactive Get Out The Vote work to resistance.  Reading the news these days feels unreal, as the values of our country get assaulted on a daily basis, but there is something amazing building below the surface which hopefully will lead to positive change in the long run. Attending the Women's March in DC with one million others was one of the great experiences of my life. It really solidified my thoughts about the power of women to make change and I believe we will reap the rewards of the energy it gathered for years as more women stand up. I have been marching throughout the year in NYC for science, immigrant rights, criminal justice and more and have watched many new coalitions form.  Although my surgery and mother's death have slowed me down a lot, I am keeping a close eye on the resistance and appreciate the people who have been newly engaged. Us oldtimers need the backup. In 2018, I ask each of you to find a new local candidate and help support their rise. We all have to engage in the rebuilding of our democracy from the ground up. 

Everyone expects me to travel and unfortunately my illness grounded me for 18 months, but I am finally flying away again, this time I spent a week with two high school friends in Germany to take in the excitement of the Christmas markets, along with the great street art in Berlin.  After I spent the holidays with my sister Catsou and her family in London.  

As much as, its been a really rough year, I'm doing ok. I'm finding my stride at the NoHo Business Improvement District, enjoying learning its history and watching its hip, trendy, fashionable future unfold. I continue to embrace fun things around me as Dick and Jane would expect. I’m very appreciative of all the support I received throughout these difficult times. 

May you all find love and community when you need it. 

And onward to a bright new year...

Cheers!
Cordelia

No comments: