Friday, October 26, 2007

My thoughts on covering



My mind goes back and forth when it comes to headscarves and covering. At moments I look at all the women in chadors and think there is definitely something wrong here. How can women possibly put up with it? But then on the other hand, I sort of like my headscarf. I like the modesty. I like the feeling when I take it off in my room and see my hair for the first time all day. I like being the private me. It feels sexy and empowering in a way showing off too much never seems to for me.

The problem in Iran and other Islamic places is that its not a free choice and not all the women want to wear it, but as for me, I was a little sad to take it off on the airplane when I left.

1 comment:

Jodi Renshaw said...

I am so glad to have found you... as I feel the same way about covering. I am an American woman who has spent time in Turkey and married into a Turkish family. I have met many women who feel empowered by the coverings and would not trade them. One woman told me that she loves that only her husband gets to see her physical beauty.

Thanks for the blog, I will continue to read :)

Love,
Jodi