Saturday, May 25, 2024

Talking about trash in Japan


My job includes a lot of thinking about sanitation pick up, so I pay close attention when I go to new places. Well, the Japanese take their trash and recycling very seriously. I was amazed to learn that they have no corner trash baskets on public streets. People are expected to bring their trash home with them and dispose of it correctly. They originally removed the cans because there were a series of bombings using the street cans, but the amazing thing is that the Japan followed the new rules and there is almost no garbage on the streets anywhere.


As you will see from these pictures, unlike most US recycling programs they expect buildings to separate many different items and the garbage room in private buildings has many separate bins for different kinds of thing. For instance there was a bin for broken glass and pottery, one for lightbulbs, and another for batteries. They also sorted out different plastics. I was sad that I never saw everything on the sidewalk for scheduled pick up, because I just can’t visualize the trucks organizing all these pickups and keeping things sorted.



No comments: